Preparing Your Indianapolis Home or Business for Floods and Storms
While the Summers in Indiana can bring lots of heat and drought, they can also bring lots of thunder, lightning, and flooding. Before the weather outside starts looking dark and gloomy, make sure that your Indianapolis home and/or business is prepared. Below, we will cover what you need to do in the event of heavy storms and flooding in order to reduce any potential damages to your property.
Batten Down the Hatches
Before the storms come, there are some steps you can take to minimize any potential damages from strong storms and potential flooding. If you know a heavy storm is coming and you have time, follow these steps:
- Make sure all your windows are shut and closed.
- Bring in or tie down any outside furniture.
- Make sure your gutters are clean to allow water to flow away from your home.
- Test your sump pump in your basement if you have one.
- Cut down any dead branches or limbs around your home.
- Seal any water leaks on your roof if possible.
Prepare for No Power
Strong storms can bring heavy winds which can cause power outages. Even a few hours of no power can be difficult to handle especially with young children. Follow these steps to make any power outages more tolerable:
- Have flashlights and plenty of batteries easily available.
- Make sure your cell phones are fully charged.
- Know where your first aid kit is.
- Have bottled water and snacks on hand.
- Have a battery-powered radio available in case there is no cell service.
When Flooding and Water Damage Occur
If your home should suffer flooding and water damage, it’s important to remain calm and not panic. Follow these simple rules if your home should suffer flooding or water damage:
- Stay away from the flood waters in your home.
- Don’t touch or use electrical appliances around floodwater.
- Wait until the storm has passed before trying to leave your home.
- Call SERVPRO of Indianapolis West as soon as possible.
When your home is flooded or sustains water damage, it’s important to contact SERVPRO of Indianapolis West as soon as the storms have passed. The faster our water damage restoration experts can arrive, the less damage the storm waters may cause to your home. If left over 48 hours, water in your home can cause mold and bacteria and waterborne illnesses to thrive and further damage your home.
Contact the Professionals to Help You Recover from Heavy Storm and Flood Damage
At SERVPRO of Indianapolis West, we have the knowledge and experience to quickly remove, clean, and restore your Indianapolis home from water and mold damage. We’re available 24/7 to help you quickly recover from any the most extensive storm damage. Contact us anytime for any water, mold or fire damage to your home.