Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Our office is locally owned and operated and located on the west side of Indianapolis, and that gives us the ability to respond anywhere in Central Indiana quickly and promptly.
After any fire damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first. Homes and businesses can become a dangerous place after a fire has occurred. In the event your Indianapolis home or business suffers from fire or smoke damage, your structure will likely receive severe damage from not only the fire but also water damage from the firefighting efforts.
Leave the cleanup to the pros at SERVPRO of Indianapolis West. We will respond immediately to your call day or night. Our highly trained Water Damage Restoration Technicians will clean, and restore your home or business to its preloss condition fast and efficiently.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (317) 243-3149
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.